Thursday, January 3, 2013

Writing Is The Key, Write, Write, Write... Then Write Some More.

Hello Readers, just letting y’all know what is going on with me.  I have submitted my short story “Will the Last Person to Leave Please Turn Out the Sun” to the Jim Baen Memorial writing contest.  Honestly, I don’t expect to win nor do I expect to get second or third place, but I consider this a big step for me because I am putting my writing out there.  The reason that this is a big step is because of a fear of rejection that is absolutely crippling at times for me.  The way I look at it, and the way that helps me to overcome this, is that the worst thing they can say to me is please don’t send us any more of your work and, since this is a contest, the likelihood of that is slim.  I should know whether or not I won by March 15th at the latest and if I don’t win then I have other plans for this short story.  For instance, I plan on submitting it to Lightspeed magazine and Strange Horizons magazine if I don’t win the contest.  I don’t know if they will buy my story, but I won’t know if I don’t try right?
As for my novel “Tears of the Western Moon” which I have been working on off and on since I killed off… well my favorite character, who shall remain nameless for the time being since I don’t want to give away the surprise, I am back working on it.  As I told you in the last post, I felt the need to delete around 6k words and I am pleased to say that I have almost gained all of that lost ground back and am must happier with the result.  Now I know that you aren’t supposed to edit as you are writing, but that was a case of me writing myself into a pit that I couldn’t work my way out of reasonably and to be honest, I was forcing myself to write that segment and it sucked.  All is right now though as the corrections have been made and the mysteriously androgynous Lord Aramon has finally made his… err, her... ummm, let’s just go with the masculine pronouns for now since the character has revealed that information to me yet, semi-permanent presence known.  Currently, he seems to be trying to weasel his way into my little band of travelers in his quest to gain immortality by possessing the Moonstones but will our heroes will for it?  Let’s hope not.
Anyway, that’s about it for now, I will try to post a bit more regularly since life seems to have calmed back down a bit for me.  Oh and if anyone else wishes to enter the Jim Baen Memorial writing contest, this is where you can find the info… 
Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment